Tuesday, 23 September 2014

What Did You Do?

What Did You Do?
You try to sleep all day
Sleep all night
But try as you might
You can’t do it
You say your chest feels tight

What did you do to deserve this?
Every day you have a near miss
You knock politely on Death’s door
You say you can’t take anymore
What would I do without you Mum?
What did you do?
What did you do?
It’s making me go numb

You shower the bed with your morning pills
Never knowing how bad this makes me feel
I want to take away the pain
I want to take you away on a plane
All I see is how fed up you are
Doctors constantly keep lowering the bar

You’ve dealt with so much from such a young age
You keep telling me to turn the next page
And see what’s going to happen in the book of life
Whether it’s the last or beginning page
Just strive

For so long you’ve been my shield
No matter how ill
You feel
No matter how hot the flames go
You have never ever left me alone
Even though I worry every single night
You’re the angel that never leaves my side

When you go into hospital
I’m the one to make that call
With you fighting the pain
And me fighting the shame
I think I am to blame
I’m not able to help you
Oh I know you feel it too
You want to help me
But for now I say ‘let it be’
You’re the one whimpering
And hoping to stop suffering

So even though I want you to stay
I’ll be your little angel and never stray
I’ll get you the help and make you well
Now you need me as much as I need you
Now I see all the pain I caused you
What did you do?

You don’t deserve all of this
I wish I could dismiss
All the pain
Coursing through your veins
Or just make it tame
All my life, I have never seen you
Without Death gliding behind you too
What did you do Mum?
It’s made me numb.


No comments:

Post a Comment